This opportunity is now closed.
Genome Alberta is a not-for-profit corporation, incorporated under the Canada Not for Profit Corporations Act. Our organization operates in partnership with Genome Canada, the Province of Alberta and a number of other funding partners. Genome Alberta has a core budget of approximately $12 million and is responsible for the initiation, funding, management and administration of a large research funding portfolio.
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Controller is a senior member of the Management Team, responsible for all financial aspects of the organization’s operations to ensure that all financial reporting is accurate and timely. The Controller will lead the design and improvement of internal controls, corporate financial policies and ensure that financial policies and procedures are adhered to throughout the organization. The Controller will assist senior management in making effective and timely strategic investment decisions and is a key contributor to the success of the Corporation, particularly in the implementation of the new strategic plan.
As a part of the management team, major responsibilities and contributions include:
• Oversee all corporate operational accounting functions including Bank reconciliation, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll and Benefits.
• Monitor receipt of financial reports from research institutions for compliance with contract timelines and requirements.
• Review research financial reports, identify variances and seek appropriate explanations.
• Prepare month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting closing, including preparing adjusting entries, verifying account balances, and ensuring completeness and integrity of all accounts.
• Lead the annual audit process, prepare working papers and liaise with external auditors and the Audit & Finance Committee.
• Prepare and present financial statements and reports to the Audit & Finance Committee, Pension Committee and the Board of Directors.
• Ensure compliance with stakeholder and funder reporting requirements and agreements including preparing financial reports.
• Prepare and maintain budgets for Board approval.
• Monitor actual results, analyze variances, seek and document explanations.
• Supervision of Accountant, including mentoring and evaluating.
• Maintain and improve appropriate accounting procedures, standards and internal controls.
• Ensure compliance with all new accounting pronouncements and regulatory requirements including but not limited to GST and taxation.
• Implement the organization’s financial risk management plan and develop and implement key strategies for the achievement of the goals and objectives of the said plan.
• Represent Genome Alberta in finance meetings of the regional Genome Centers and Genome Canada twice per year within Canada.
• Attend meetings (virtual as appropriate) with the Director of Programs, Project Managers, Research Services and/or others where research organizations are located.
• Liaise with the research management staff and Research Services Offices at academic institutions to ensure that academic institution’s financial reporting obligations as well as Genome Alberta’s financial obligations are met.
Qualifications and Education
• Professional accounting designation (CPA).
• At least 3 years’ progressive experience in a related position(s), ideally in a not-for-profit organization.
• Advanced knowledge of QuickBooks Accounting Software would be an asset.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to communicate with a diverse group of internal and external individuals is critical.
• The ability to prioritize and foresee potential issues or problems through strong planning and organizing skills.
• The ability to work with and contribute to a positive team environment.
• An attention to detail and a focus on results.
• Experience with and an appreciation for the complexities of a research-based organization would be an asset.
What we Offer
• A competitive compensation and benefits package.
• Exceptional culture.
• An opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to a dynamic organization that aims to improve the lives of Albertans and Canadians through its support for Genomics research.
• An appropriate work-life balance that ensures the well-being of its employees.
• Group RRSP contributions/Pension (company match).
Genome Alberta is committed to following all provincial and federal public health authority guidance pertaining to COVID-19.
: Suite 200, 3512 – 33 St N.W., Calgary, AB
: Commensurate with experience
Please send your cover letter and resume before December 3, 2021, to Mitthua Banks
Genome Alberta is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment that values the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Diversity at our organization means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Although we thank all applicants for their interest in Genome Alberta, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you.