For the past several months Genome Alberta has been developing and refining a new strategic plan to take us through to 2025. We are pleased to say it has been completed and is ready for download!
Over the past 15 years Genome Alberta has played an integral role in technology, research, and innovation in the province by supporting the development and deployment of genomics enabled solutions for health, agriculture, energy, forestry, and the environment.
We have enabled more than $550M of genomics research and have helped secure $120M in federal research funds for Alberta-led projects, creating 20 spin-off companies and thousands of Alberta jobs. For every $1 of provincial funding for core operations, Genome Alberta has leveraged $28 in genomics research funding with the portfolio having leveraged more than $200M in post-project investments.
Looking down the road we see even greater potential in ‘omics and molecular life science research that offers real economic benefits to the province.
- Our funding support will provide researchers and post-secondary institutions with dedicated assistance in developing large scale funding applications that will result in more federal funds flowing into Alberta.
- Through strategic programming, we will launch end-user driven initiatives focused on developing commercially viable technologies in partnership with federal government agencies and provincial for-profit industries in applied and translational research areas of critical importance to the province.
- With an eye on innovation and application we will work to expand the application of genomics research by identifying key priorities, new opportunities, and the needs of end-users.
- Working with Alberta’s post-secondary institutions and federal training program we will focus on talent development to attract - and keep - the best and the brightest
- To drive commercialization and the economy, we will work with other key organizations to ensure that the innovations that are created in the lab can translate into real economic development outcomes for the province.
- Through a dedicated societal impact and communication strategy, we will expand our services, impact, and reach to articulate the role that genomics plays in ensuring a sustainable future.